Who is Jesus?
Article 6 - How Well Do You Know Jesus?
by Bryan Gibson
See how many of these questions you can answer about Jesus and His teaching. It might surprise you one way or the other. Most of the answer passages are spelled out below the questions – but at least take a good guess before looking. It should be a good fun exercise.
- Jesus described Himself as “meek and lowly” (Matthew 11:28). Is this the only “side” we should see of Jesus? For example, in the Book of Revelation, what weapon is pictured as coming out of his mouth? Revelation 1:16; 2:16; 19:15.
- Jesus is the “lamb of God” (John 1:29), but to what other animal is He likened? Revelation 5:5.
- What did Jesus do, when He found moneychangers doing business in the temple? John 2:13-17?
- Does Jesus hate false doctrine? Revelation 2:14-16.
- Will Jesus have fellowship with you if you teach false doctrine? 2 John 1:9.
- What does Jesus call it when someone teaches a doctrine that comes from man and not from Him? Matthew 15:9.
- Fill in the blank: “I am the way, the __________, and the life.” John 14:6.
- According to Acts 2:36, Jesus is “both Lord and Christ.” What does Jesus expect of those who call Him Lord? Luke 6:46.
- Jesus calls Himself the “good shepherd” (John 10:11). How should His sheep respond to Him? John 10:27; Revelation 14:4. Should His sheep listen to anyone other than Him? John 10:5.
- Did Jesus ever warn people about hell? Mark 9:43-48; Matthew 5:22; 5:28-30; 10:28; 25:41-46.
- Will Jesus condemn or punish anyone in the day of judgment? Matthew 7:21-23; 2 Thessalonians 1:7-9.
- How did Jesus describe the number who will be saved—few or many? Matthew 7:13-14.
- Who will Jesus save? Hebrews 5:8-9.
- On the question—what must I do to be saved?—what did Jesus tell His apostles to preach? Mark 16:15-16; Luke 24:46-47.
- Will you stand before Jesus one day? 2 Corinthians 5:9-11.
- On what basis will He judge you? 2 Corinthians 5:10; John 12:48; Matthew 16:27.
- Who is the brother, sister, and mother of Jesus? (Matthew 12:50).
- How did Jesus want His followers to express their love for Him? John 14:15, 21, 23-24.
- How can you know for sure you know Jesus? 1 John 2:3-5.
- How can you know for sure you have a “relationship” with Jesus (you in Him, and Him in you)? 1 John 3:24.
- Jesus died for you. What should you now do for Him? 2 Corinthians 5:14-15; Galatians 2:20; Titus 2:14.
- Should you ever refuse to do anything Jesus tells you to do? Matthew 16:24; 28:20; Acts 3:22-23.
- How many churches did Jesus promise to build? Matthew 16:18.
- Does Jesus want his followers to be united or divided? John 17:20-21.
- What “position” does Jesus hold in relation to the church? Colossians 1:18; Ephesians 5:23.
- What, then, is the church’s responsibility to Jesus? Ephesians 5:24.
- Should a local church practice or teach anything not taught by Jesus? Colossians 2:8, 20-23.
- What sort of commitment does Jesus ask from us? Luke 14:25-33.
- Should anything He asks us to do be considered a burden? Matthew 11:28-30; 1 John 5:3.
- Do you know Jesus as well as you thought you did?
- Rev. 1:16: “And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth proceeded a sharp two-edged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shines in his strength.”
- Rev. 5:4-5: “And I wept much, because no one was found worthy to open the book, or to look thereon: and one of the elders said unto me, Weep not; behold, the Lion that is of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, hath overcome to open the book and the seven seals thereof.”
- John 2:15-16: “… and he made a scourge of cords, and cast all out of the temple, both the sheep and the oxen; and he poured out the changers' money, and overthrew their tables; and to them that sold the doves he said, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house a house of merchandise.”
- Rev. 2:14-16: “But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there some that hold the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed to idols, and to commit fornication. So hast thou also some that hold the teaching of the Nicolaitans in like manner. Repent therefore; or else I come to thee quickly, and I will make war against them with the sword of my mouth.”
- 2 John 9: “Whosoever goes onward and abides not in the teaching of Christ, hath not God: he that abides in the teaching, the same hath both the Father and the Son.”
- Matt. 15:9: “But in vain do they worship me, Teaching (as their) doctrines the precepts of men.”
- John 14:6: “Jesus said unto him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life: no one cometh unto the Father, but by me.”
- Luke 6:46: “And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? See also Mt. 7:21.
- John 10:27: “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: …” Rev. 14:4: “These are they that were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These (are) they that follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were purchased from among men, (to be) the firstfruits unto God and unto the Lamb.”
- Mark 9:43-48: “And if thy hand cause thee to stumble, cut it off: it is good for thee to enter into life maimed, rather than having thy two hands to go into hell, into the unquenchable fire. (where their worm dies not, and the fire is not quenched.) And if thy foot cause thee to stumble, cut it off: it is good for thee to enter into life halt, rather than having thy two feet to be cast into hell. (where their worm dies not, and the fire is not quenched.) And if thine eye cause thee to stumble, cast it out: it is good for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell; where their worm dies not, and the fire is not quenched.”
- Mt. 7:21-23: “Not every one that says unto me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy by thy name, and by thy name cast out demons, and by thy name do many mighty works?’ And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” 2 Thes. 1:7-9: “… and to you that are afflicted rest with us, at the revelation of the Lord Jesus from heaven with the angels of his power in flaming fire, rendering vengeance to them that know not God, and to them that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus: who shall suffer punishment, (even) eternal destruction from the face of the Lord and from the glory of his might, …”
- Mt. 7:13-14: “Enter ye in by the narrow gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leads to destruction, and many are they that enter in thereby. For narrow is the gate, and straitened the way, that leads unto life, and few are they that find it.”
- Heb. 5:8-9: “… though he was a Son, yet learned obedience by the things which he suffered; and having been made perfect, he became unto all them that obey him the author of eternal salvation; …”
- Mk. 16:15-16: “And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to the whole creation. He that believes and is baptized shall be saved; but he that disbelieves shall be condemned.” Lk. 24:46-47: “… and he said unto them, Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer, and rise again from the dead the third day; and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name unto all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.
- 2 Cor. 5: 9-11: “Wherefore also we make it our aim, whether at home or absent, to be well-pleasing unto him. For we must all be made manifest before the judgment-seat of Christ; that each one may receive the things (done) in the body, according to what he hath done, whether (it be) good or bad. Knowing therefore the fear of the Lord, we persuade men, but we are made manifest unto God; and I hope that we are made manifest also in your consciences.”
- Jn. 12:48: “He that rejects me, and receives not my sayings, hath one that judges him: the word that I spoke, the same shall judge him in the last day.”
- Mt. 12:50: “For whosoever shall do the will of my Father who is in heaven, he is my brother, and sister, and mother.”
- Jn. 14:21, 23-24: “He that hath my commandments, and keeps them, he it is that loves me: and he that loves me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself unto him. … Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my word: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. He that loves me not keeps not my words: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's who sent me.
- 1 Jn. 2:3-5: “Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He who says, "I know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him.”
- 1 Jn. 3:24: “And he that keeps his commandments abides in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abides in us, by the Spirit which he gave us.”
- 2 Cor. 5:14-15: “For the love of Christ constrains us; because we thus judge, that one died for all, therefore all died; and he died for all, that they that live should no longer live unto themselves, but unto him who for their sakes died and rose again. Gal. 2:20: “I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I that live, but Christ living in me: and that (life) which I now live in the flesh I live in faith, (the faith) which is in the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself up for me.”
- Mt. 16:24: “Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man would come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.” Acts 3:22-23: “Moses indeed said, A prophet shall the Lord God raise up unto you from among your brethren, like unto me. To him shall ye hearken in all things whatsoever he shall speak unto you. And it shall be, that every soul that shall not hearken to that prophet, shall be utterly destroyed from among the people.”
- Mt. 16:18: “And I also say unto thee, that thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.”
- Jn. 17:20-21: “Neither for these only do I pray, but for them also that believe on me through their word; that they may all be one; even as thou, Father, (art) in me, and I in thee, that they also may be in us: that the world may believe that thou didst send me.”
- Col. 1:18: “And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence. Eph. 5:23: “For the husband is the head of the wife, and Christ also is the head of the church, (being) himself the savior of the body.”
- Eph. 5:24: “But as the church is subject to Christ, so (let) the wives also (be) to their husbands in everything.”
- Col. 2:8, 20-23: “Take heed lest there shall be any one that maketh spoil of you through his philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ: … If ye died with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, do ye subject yourselves to ordinances, Handle not, nor taste, nor touch (all which things are to perish with the using), after the precepts and doctrines of men? Which things have indeed a show of wisdom in will-worship, and humility, and severity to the body; (but are) not of any value against the indulgence of the flesh.”
- Lk. 14:25-33: “Now there went with him great multitudes: and he turned, and said unto them, If any man cometh unto me, and hates not his own father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. Whosoever doth not bear his own cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple. For which of you, desiring to build a tower, doth not first sit down and count the cost, whether he have (wherewith) to complete it? Lest haply, when he hath laid a foundation, and is not able to finish, all that behold begin to mock him, saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish. Or what king, as he goes to encounter another king in war, will not sit down first and take counsel whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand? Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sends an ambassage, and asks conditions of peace. So therefore whosoever he be of you that renounces not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.
- Mt. 11:28-30; “Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” 1 Jn. 5:3: “For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.”
- Perhaps none of us do.
The next article shows how Jesus came to proclaim the name and authority of the Father.
What are the conditions of salvation given by Jesus?